New start - me and the garden

I cannot believe I haven't blogged since 2021! I have certainly not neglected the garden as badly as the blog, although it has been a tricky couple of years. Ill-health, deadlines on two books, a novel and a non-fiction, together with rotten weather have sapped my enthusiasm.

Last summer was mainly taken up with the under-gardener building an extension to the greenhouse so the far end was more like a building site. There were some areas I couldn't even access because of piles of wood, or a workmate and bits of guttering in the way. I  concentrated on maintaining the areas near the house.

A few weeks ago, I began work clearing up the winter debris. We took down a strawberry tree that was leaning over and robbing the light from a magnolia. We are hoping it will grow back. We also coppiced the ash tree again as it had grown too big.

Nasty weather throughout January has hindered me  but we've had a few good days more recently and I've finally managed to clear all the winter debris. Which means round two can begin - the proper gardening.

I've still a lot of rose pruning to do, and some things need digging up, either for relocation in this garden, or splitting and giving to friends. It is always nice to see the spring flowers emerging and I can now enjoy the camelias, daffodils, hyacinths, primulas etc. while I continue with the seasonal work. As you can see from the picture lower down I have an awful lot of Japanese Anemone to dig out... again!

I Invested in a small long-handled fork to make it easier to aerate the soil and disturb the weeds. With my back and arms protesting more and more each year I don't manage to do as thorough a job as I used to. I just hope it is good enough.

I sowed the sweet peas the other day, a job I have usually done in October to get them off to a good start over winter. I was too lazy last year, I guess. One the pruning is done, March will be here, time to feed the roses and clematis.

John still has some finishing off to do on the greenhouse and a few benches to make with the left over wood and then it will be all go again. 


It is a proper jungle in the greenhouse at the moment. The huge bananas and palms that I leave growing in pots overwinter take up so much room, I can't get in there to do much seed sowing.

So, here's hoping for a lovely summer in 2024, not too hot and not too wet either. Hopefully, future blog pictures will be more colourful as the garden pops out into bloom.  I will endeavour to keep the blog up to date, and don't forget to look out for videos on the youtube channel - @Judeofthejungle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gardening For Beginners - Cheap and Easy Does it.

It is June! June, June, June, June, June ...

Chasing away the January blues.